Saturday, December 20, 2008

Two Questions




Hi all! As my lovely wife has previously stated, I will offer up some additional insight from time to time. So the first thing I'd like to say is I'm so fortunate, that means BLESSED. I do recognize that family is the foundation. So Renita mentioned the two questions we asked ourselves after watching Will Smith's movie Seven Pounds. (1). Who are you? (2) Why are you here? I know I know, it sounds like two basic questions that anyone could answer pretty quickly. That may be the problem. I have discovered that these questions should be thought provoking no matter how simplistic they may sound. Here's another question. How many of us get bogged down with our personal lives attempting to achieve goals we have set for ourselves? You can't see me, but I just raised my hand. Watching this movie yesterday allowed me to take a closer look at who I am, and why am I here.

Yes we are suppose to set personal, family, and career goals. Yes we are suppose to achieve those goals; however, are we suppose to be so goal-oriented that we get so consumed with ourselves so much that we forget about PEOPLE? Helping people to be quite specific. How many people have you helped? How many people do you know that when your name is mentioned, or perhaps when they see your face, or hear your voice, those individuals immediately have a sense of thanksgiving in their hearts because you have helped them to a degree where they recognize you as being a difference-maker in their lives? A difference-maker? How are we suppose to define that? Here's a thought, maybe we don't. Could this be the problem? We stick our chest out because we buy someone something that they otherwise, could not buy for themselves, and it gives us a sense of power. It gives us the sensation that allows us to say "yeah look what I did for you." So we ourselves define that as helping someone. Does our definition need to run much deeper than that? Do we really get to decide whether we have helped someone so much that we crown ourselves Difference-Maker in their life? The movie I watch yesterday taught me that the only time I get to define difference-maker is when a person's name is mentioned, or I see their face, or hear their voice, and I immediately get a sense of thanksgiving in my heart for the help they have given me during my life.So I ask, who are you, and why are you here?

No comments:

Post a Comment