Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The 7 year old



The other day Jordan (our 7yr.old), and I played football out in the yard. You know as a father with boys that have competitive hearts, I find myself always being asked to not only play with my boys, but compete against them as well. Jordan by far has the most energy with Caiden coming in a close second. So Jordan says, "come on daddy let's play football just me and you." I acknowledge his request, and then accept it wholeheartedly. Now the first rule with competitive boys is you cannot just allow them to win because they get upset because you're not trying. On the other hand, you can't steam roll 'em either because they make excuses for losing and then accuse you of cheating. So I have learned to be well-balanced in a thought out methodical approach, that way, everybody wins regardless of the score. All I have to do is appear like I'm really trying to compete. I've been doing this for years now. So, the final score was Jordan 35, Daddy 28. You know you've become really good at this when your 7 year old says "good game daddy you almost beat me this time, you are getting much better," and then proceeds to give you a high five. I love my boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment